Wednesday 2 June 2010

Young Love

Dad said you know it’s true love when you see the person and you feel weak at your knees. Kind of like you’re going to fall over. Personally, I have only felt that way once. Had to give my head a shake as that particular person didn’t live in the same country I did. The kind of relationship that sparks and fizzles and hits a dead end. Sad, but true. Might as well bash bricks over your head.
Yesterday I spoke with a lovely young person. She’d confided in me that her feelings had changed for her boyfriend. That didn’t surprise me given her age. I knew they had been together for a while. But not that it was three and a half years by the time June 29th rolled around. How precise. She knew it to the day.
Now I have a theory about relationships. From the woman’s point of view that is. First, let the guy do the chasing. If you don’t and you do the chasing, chances are it won’t last. The guy has to want you first.
But when it comes to teenagers, it gets complicated.
Does the guy really know what he wants from a girlfriend? After all, this is all new territory. Does the girl really know what to do with a guy?
Throw in a bunch of growing up, hormones, living at home, parents, going to school and oh yes, graduation soon - have to figure out what to do with my life… and you have the ingredients for mind games. Cause really, you don’t know what you want. You’re too young. You have to figure out your own life first, before you can share it with someone else.
That's my theory anyway... Oh to be young again.

No comments: