Friday 8 July 2011

A Second Chance


Try as you might. Should you fail, as some version of an old saying goes – you try and try again.
When you fall off a horse what do you do?
Without question, you get back on.
Life can give us second chances. It’s what we do with them that counts.
Ironically on the news tonight I watch as the World News outlines the British Parliaments’ crushing gossip whereby a Communications Director was given a second chance, yet failed in the public’s eye. Or so it’s been broadcast.
The jury isn’t out.
Here at home, I marvel in my dear Uncle Leonard's second chance.
At life.
Today he’s home, but last week he was hospitalized with a questionable prognosis.
So I asked him tonight if he felt like he’d been given a second chance. He said to wait until he’d sat down to discuss it.
Later he reflected on the ward he was in during his hospital stay. Not so much about his physical well-being.
“For the first time in my life,” he said, “I felt my age.”
Today at 87, he’s been gifted.
With a second chance.

No comments: