Sunday 24 October 2010

Did You Dance?

Had a blast last night. My pal Sherry rented a hall for her partner’s birthday bash. Old school style. But with a live band -  a seven piece.
Over the years I’ve complained a lot about our lack of togetherness. In society. We sit at home on our computers. Go to movies. Yet the yonder years of community hall gatherings and potlucks seemed reserved for the Boy Scouts or Girl Guides.
Interaction face to face. Alive. One on one. With music. Throw in some freedom to move. Let’s call it dancing and wow. Some spirits are moved. We are free.
Years ago I’d do dinner with a few girlfriends. Every couple of weeks. Inevitably the bottles of wine emptied and the music would get cranked and someone would clear the table to make a dance floor. Does anyone do that anymore?
At first I was the only one moving with the band. Once I hip-checked the dude with the full bottle of rum he started to groove. Of course, by the end of the night there were young and old, the dance floor was full. The energy positive. Happy smiling faces. All around.
I couldn’t remember the last time I’d danced and had that much fun with that many people. Maybe at a wedding?
Do you remember the last time you danced?

No comments: