|Under the Cambie Street bridge.|
Birthdays come and go. Seasons change.
Can’t believe it’s been 20 years since I last called Vancouver home.
Thought about what has changed since 1991. In no particular order I’m pretty sure I can come up with 20:
- Way more people ride bikes.
- There are many official bicycle lanes (convenient).
- There’s a Canada Line.
- Bikes are allowed on the Canada Line (way cool).
- Buses have bike racks (downside there’s only two).
- Cyclists share pathways and sidewalks with pedestrians and runners - very well.
- Design is hip and seen all around.
- Lots of cool public art (where you’d least expect it).
- Car co-ops are everywhere.
- Transit and bikes is the easiest way to get around.
- Lululemon is idolized.
- It’s nearly impossible to find live aboard moorage for a boat.
- Sophie’s Cosmic Café in Kitsilano has outdoor seating.
- Naam makes better coffee.
- Vegan choices are widely available.
- Capers is now Whole Foods.
- Video stores are hard to find.
- 604 isn’t the only area code.
- Bridge Studios (I worked on MacGyver) has doubled in size.
- Being fit is so in!