Thursday 15 December 2011

Facing the Challenge

Doesn’t take long to go back from where you came from. When it comes to loosing weight and being fit.
I claim an excuse.
Six months ago I fell off my road bike and fractured my pelvis in two places, along with my clavicle.
Now I wasn’t at prime but I was heading to being in the best shape of my life.
These things happen for a reason.
So now I’m healed up and geared up to go.
Except for the goal.
Cycling is like having a lover on two wheels. The bike takes you places. You constantly experience a wonder lust of endorphin rushes and feelings of gratitude. Especially after any long ride.
Recently I attended some talks on the epic endurance athletic lifestyle. I shook my head in disbelief with the one comments that seems to have stuck.
The body will follow the mind.
Like no amount of suffering can change that?
Last night I dial in on the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer orientation. I decided after the recent passing of a friend that I would ride in his honour.
The goal is set.
Coincidentally the same day I hear of an elderly family member with a confirmed diagnosis.
So I’m in. But on the Conference Call it’s revealed that the Challenge Course for which I signed up for is 160km a day, times two.
Start training now. Oh yeah!
Super scared. YES!
Know I’ll have to get a new bike. What if I hold everyone up? Are the dudes that are super fast going to be the ones that ride it? Will I be the only woman?
Can I do this?
Today I decide. Yes. My mind has said yes.
So to start things off I walk into a Bikram Yoga class today to asses the muscles and the mass (body fat).
Mirrors don’t lie. No question the body fat index needs to point down, down, like wayyyyy down…..
The class, well it was a sufferfest. The teacher favoured the icon of symbolism for me today.
“Let your mind believe you’re doing the right thing for your body…”
And yes, everything else will follow.
Well here goes nothing!

2 comments:

vinee said...

I hear ya Jane...Best of luck fr ur ride n yeah agree starting yoga again is hard but i know u can do it:)

A Fresh Thinker said...

Thank you! Will keep going... and you too!