Tuesday 16 February 2010

Follow Your Heart

Trust is a big word. In it’s meaning. Do you trust?
Do you forgive if you have been betrayed?
Life is about moving forward. Not about looking back.
Recently I had an opportunity to assist with an International Humanitarian organization called Right To Play. In learning about their work I uncovered a lot about myself. No matter what, follow your heart. You never know where it will take you.
Instinctively I knew, when I saw the tweeted opportunity to volunteer as a TV studio assistant and reporter for Right To Play TV, that I had to be there. My heart told me so. I dropped what I was doing, sacrificed some workouts, a few dollars and did what my heart said I should do.
I heard stories. I saw things. I felt things. Eyes wide open, I learned a lot.
We have so much. Our children have the world. Many do not. One person did something to change that. Using the power of sport and play. Right To Play was born to foster positive social development in disadvantaged countries all over the world. In doing so, Right To Play has brought peace to many scarred, war-torn communities.
I thought about Invictus, Clint Eastwood’s latest directorial debut. The words in the poem resonated in my heart.

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

By William Ernest Henley (written from a hospital bed in 1875)
Source: Wikipedia

I know to trust my heart. To listen to what it tells me. To live for the future. To never look back. No regrets.

No comments: