Thursday 8 July 2010

Health is Wealth

Last night I went to bed for a nap. Thought I’d wake up within 15 minutes so I could write my blog. Clearly I was sick. I didn’t wake up until a phone call at 6:20 a.m. this morning. Bummer.
Made me think about things though. Here I was rushing around to do the BC Bike Race www.bcbikerace.com where I maxed myself riding a mountain bike on the sweetest single track British Columbia has to offer. I don’t sleep much the final encore as I’m so wound I DID IT! All seven days of the Challenge Course. Then what do I do, I go straight home and back to work in the boatyard in 30 degree Celsius heat with not much sleep and thighs I know exist. So what happens… I get the summer cold. Haven’t had anything like that for I swear two years.
My famous anecdote rings in my head, time to slow down sit down and shut down. So I do, but then I don’t get up for ten hours.
Back to the headline. Health is wealth. No matter what we do in life, health is gold. Really, it’s our bread and butter. If we didn’t have it, there would be nothing.
My dad was 44 years old when he had his first stroke. I was nine years old and remember it like it was yesterday. One day he was dad, next day he was someone in a hospital bed with a bandage wrapped around his head and drool coming out the side of his mouth.
He survived paralyzed on his left side and lived a love filled life until his later seventies. But one thing always stuck with me. No matter how much money we had, it would never bring the feeling back in his left side. Or, get him out of that wheelchair in the latter years.
When I think about what I’m doing to survive because of financial pressures and the almighty buck, I need to remind myself about my dad. Like he used to say, your health is your wealth and without it you have nothing.
Time to rest up. Thanks, dad.

No comments: