Tuesday 21 September 2010

Cardio Junky

I’m hooked. I am in love with the pack. Riding in a pack. So happy I own a road bike.
My x-husband introduced me to the Triple Shots. They’re 6 am roadies Tuesdays, Wednesday, Fridays and Saturdays and 7:30 am on Sundays.
The meet-up is simple. It’s a, b or c groups. Take your pick. We head. The talking starts. The warm-ups easy.
Tuesdays is speed, Wednesday is hills, Friday’s a bit of both, Saturdays and Sunday a mix but longer in time.
Weekdays it’s an hour and a half finishing with coffee. In most cases double shots.
I get a kick out of the pace. My heart rate climbs. I’m not as fast as most. I wear red. Lantern Rouge (last rider in the Tour de France).
No worries. If I can catch up I jump on someone’s wheel. That’s the thrill. We groove along the seaside. Pace line picks up. I’m hanging on. Drool starts. Nose runs. The heart keeps up. The legs round on. The wheels turn. It’s so exhilarating. I get so thrilled. The feeling of speed, the energy in front. I’m high.
Sweat beads. The grip tightens. I have to stay on. If I loose space I gotta get up and climb. Focus focus focus. Wheel in front what’s ahead and keeping up.
The ride slows near the café. We peel off. By the time I’ve unclipped and off my bike I declare fatigue. Oh my gosh though, I can hardly wait to do it all over again.
I’m thinking maybe I’ve become a cardio junky!

No comments: