Thursday 24 February 2011

Good Riddance Debt

Went to spend my last five dollars in the grocery store the other day and the Manager was dragging out a woman for shoplifting.
At the checkout a fellow was remarking to the cashier how in the past when he was in hard times, he never ever would he consider taking something.
“You go without,” he said.
The two reminisced on their journeys to the Food Banks. I handed over my bank card for my $1.30 bread purchase.  With family and friends I’m fortunate I don’t have to go there.
Not having a penny in your pocket does limit you though. It’s definitely demoralizing, but it’s not the end of the world.
Providing you’ve got a roof over your head and your health.
We throw so much out. Especially when it comes to food.
Since I’ve been pinching I notice it. Buy what you’re going to eat today. Nothing gets wasted.
There’s a lot of talk in Canada these days about our household debt. I agree. We’ve overextended ourselves. Living way beyond our means.
A friend once said to me, “The more you make, the more you spend.”
So true. And when you don’t have it, quite simply – you won’t spend it.
I’ve gone two years now without a credit card, line of credit or overdraft. It’s been great. Next step is to reduce the debt. I’m looking forward to it. Sell this, sell that. Don’t need it. Know I can live without it.
Good riddance debt!

No comments: