Wednesday 8 June 2011

Belly Laughs


It’s good for you. Releases some kind of magic in the brain. Makes the pain go away. Like the endorphins that escape when you run. Except that way you get a little high.
Somewhere I saw a woman devastated with cancer who elected to bring laughter into her life everyday to ward off the darkness. She watched funny movies. Read funny books.
Last night I went to see Bridesmaids with my son and his girlfriend. I knew what it would be, as far as a movie goes. The laughter rings hinged me on seeing it on the big screen.
While I stuffed myself with popcorn I reminded myself how grateful I was that I could hobble into the theatre!
It’s now two and half weeks since I fractured my pelvis in two places and my clavicle falling off my road bike – yup going way too fast crossing slippery when wet train tracks.
While the drama unfolded in front of me I savoured the knee slapping moments. Laughter is good on the pelvis and the clavicle!
Made me think of my dad. He was paralyzed on his left side from a stroke for over 30 years till his passing. His medicine in the day was to find the humour. He listened to funny audio tapes and watched comic movies on television.
All the while cracking the one-liners to those around him.
What a spirit. To live each day with laughter.
That’s the best medicine of all.
The belly laugh.

No comments: