Sunday 3 July 2011

Earned Patience

The thesaurus uses staying power, persistence and tolerance as synonyms for the word patience.
I’ve been hearing it a lot lately. Especially when it comes to trying to do anything physical.
Six weeks today since the pelvic and clavicle fractures.
Yesterday I managed 50 meters with the shoulder doing the breaststroke. The remaining 600 meters was water walking and on my back sculling. At least I can do something!
Walking is painfully slow still. Although I can do a block now, without sitting down.
Last night I met a woman who had back surgery in April. She was sporting a plastic back like brace. Her 4th and 5th lumbars fused back together with screws. Alleviating years of excruciating nerve pain.
She said to me, “Paint the picture of how you want to look and feel when you’re all healed up.”
As I hobbled away I imagined.
Then chuckled to myself thinking again her final words.
“Remember to be patient.”
Ironically right after I had a text chat with another pal who’d suffered a shoulder injury a year earlier. Now in limbo awaiting surgery. Still with pain and suffering.
Her gift in words to me was the slow down was the best thing that could of happened to her in her life. She’d met the man of her dreams, watched her eldest daughter graduate. 
Nothing was rushed.
I’m humbled by the people I’ve been meeting in my current situation.
And slowly learning to live with that word: patience.

2 comments:

Raymond Parker said...

It's hard to see an upside to an injury that changes one's life so dramatically, but your experience closely matches mine.

Slowing down does open one to other life lessons.

The last two years of my life have revolved around, surgeries, doctor appointments, physio and pain, lots of pain.

The people I've met who are on the same journey have been the redeeming part of the process.

Hang in there!

A Fresh Thinker said...

Oh, thank you for your insights and support, Raymond. That means a lot. YOU TOO!!! We need to keep reminding ourselves.... "We ARE healing."
Thank you so much.