Thursday 19 January 2012

Happy Computer


Migrating an old Mac to a new Mac can be a chore. Especially when you’re me. Technically challenged.
It took me three times before I thought I got it right.
Tuesday I downloaded a schwack of HD footage for my Final Cut Pro X class.
Then the fans started coming on. My battery life went down to zilch. I was baffled.
They weren’t turning off.
Even at night.
Too much on the desktop maybe?
Nope.
Advice from here and there – re-install. Start all over again. But before that dump the goods to a back-up drive.
Finally I went to the be all and know all. The Coordinator of my Program.
“Should I book it into the Mac store?” I ask sullenly.
While still under warranty a “Diagnostic” test was advised.
The forums I’d read clearly indicated, “Houston, you have a serious problem.”
Before heading over I tried one last thing.
MacKeeper.
Then I had to plug in and sure enough the fans fired up again.
I’d been having issues when logging in. As well as with iTunes. So I broke down. But I called first.
Was told two to four days. First come first served.
But… but, but I’m an EMD student… I need my computer!
I arrive. Pathetic all over my face.
I’m given time. I’ve given expertise. I met a GENIUS!
Yup, the Mac Station dude fixed me up.
Got his goat on the iTunes issue but he killed it.
And brought my computer back to life.
Happy computer.
Happy ME!

No comments: