Wednesday 22 June 2011

How the Internet Connects

My Pal Amy!

I know Amy. Even though I’ve never met her in person.
We’re pals. Some day we are going to ride together.
Until our time comes, we connect via email and Facebook.
We first met last year when I was doing the BC Bike Race.
Amy read my blog. It was so cool to hear how excited she was everyday to read my posts.
I absolutely loved receiving her comments. So much enthusiasm and support!
The BC Bike Race came and went and Amy continued to comment on my blog. We joined together on Facebook and started to enjoy long emails back and forth.
It was amazing to discover how much we have in common when it comes to life, drive, attitude and gratitude.
Ironically the very day I took my tumble off my road bike and fractured my pelvis and clavicle, Amy had sent me one her usual upbeat “checking in” emails.
I gave her the news.
Behind my Blackberry I could feel her sympathy and support in her every typed out word. It was wonderful.
She tagged me with the line, “It’s OK to have the pity party!”
Previous to my tumble, Amy had supported my efforts in my project with Uganda Wishes. I received the most thoughtful care package ever.
She put together post-its, small bulldog clips for paperwork, lip balm, a unique “Amy” designed t-shirt (I wore it today!), and an amazing pair of “Amy” earrings – bike style with chain links. So original!
As the weeks have followed my accident (May 22) I have asked for advise. She’s a Physical Therapist (had written her up originally as an Occupational Therapist sorry Amy!) so she’s dealt with people like me.
I’m so grateful for our friendship. Can hardly wait to ride my bike along side her. One day we hope to team up for the BC Bike Race.
How the Internet connects!

2 comments:

Cindy Stephenson said...

Sorry to hear about your accident, and wish you a speedy recovery!

A Fresh Thinker said...

Thank you so much Cindy!